Friday, May 2, 2008

Who do you thank?

I had to visit a jobsite in Franklin, NC, this week.
While I was talking to the superintendent about concealed carry laws and the Second Amendment, an older gentleman came in. This man was "up in years" and I'm sure he was well into his retirement. Why he was even there I don't know. But I'm glad he was. He hopped right into the conversation and we talked for a few minutes about what caliber to carry, law enforcement and a couple other things.
I don't really recall how it came up, but the older man said, "Back when I landed in Normandy..." My eyes widened and I am sure I had a look of surprise on my face. The contractor said, "You were there?" The older man said, "I landed on the beach on the fourth of the invasion. My buddies and some of my close friends were falling all around me."
The contractor and I, almost simultaneously said, "Thank you, sir."
We each reached out to shake his hand. His grip was firm. His only reply was, "It was something that had to be done."
His cell phone rang, and we parted ways, but as long as I live, I will never forget the moment that I was able to shake the hand of a TRUE AMERICAN HERO!!
I wish now I had gotten his name, but alas, I did not.


If you can read, thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in America, thank a VETERAN!


To each and every man and woman in our Armed Forces, currently OR formerly, I THANK YOU!!!