Monday, May 17, 2010

Monday, May 17, 2010

I had a chance to put my kayak in the river with a group of people from Meetup.com this past Saturday. The trip was "advertised" as 2 miles, and about 2 hours. It ended up being about 2 and a half hours, which to me was not a problem, since I love being in my yak! However, based on the GPS one of the guys in the group has built into his cell phone, it was more like 5 miles. Pretty cool, if you ask me.
The only problem with this trip was the fact that the fiberglass patch the previous owner did on the hole he made had dry-rotted over the winter. Yep, after about an hour, I was sittin in water! Good thing another yaker had a bilge pump handy. (I need to get a super-soaker) Anyway, when we took out at the landing, the guide told me how to repair it. Basically getting a block of material and with a heat gun, melt it onto the hole, and re-shape it.
I called the manufacturer, who told me to call a dealer, who told me they don't sell the material, but they can fix it for me - I'm sure for a fee. Luckily, I know a guy who knows a guy who probably can get me some material straight from the manufacturer. I think I'll just wait and see how soon I can get that. That way I can fix it mineself. :-)

It's already 81 outside and extremely muggy!!

No comments: