Monday, June 25, 2012

Getting settled...

Well, I moved into my apartment this weekend. It's considerably larger than the condo I lived in when I was in Bluffton. It has a larger kitchen and living room, and a dining room which the condo didn't have. There is also a nice sun room off the living room. That's where I set up my office. I was able to unpack the kitchen, but I still have a good many boxes of other things to unpack. I'm sure that I will be making a couple trips to Goodwill as I go thru all the things I have collected over the years!
One really good thing about this complex, it's much newer construction than the condo. Luckily this will keep noise down from upstairs neighbors. As of now, it appears there is no upstairs neighbor, but that could change at any time, I'm sure.
I passed on the garage for now because my bike fits in the end storage unit just fine. I confirmed that I can add the garage later if it becomes necessary.
I didn't get cable tv, yet, because it's not in my budget nor do I need it. I did get Internet, so listening to streaming radio and watching Netflix and Hulu will be much more reliable than the borrowed wifi I had access to before. Once I get caught up financially, I will get a wireless router.
I'm looking forward to getting settled in and making my new life work. Of course, there are some things that will be difficult for me, especially emotionally, but I will just have to work thru them. I used to think I was patient, but lately I'm beginning to doubt...
I'm sure that once I get completely unpacked, and get my finances in order, I will start going places and doing things where I can meet new people and make new friends. I know it appears to most that I don't have any problems making friends, but that is so wrong. Believe it or not, making new friends is one of the most challenging things in my life. It always has been. Again, just something I have to work thru.
My new job couldn't be much better. It's a trade I have been in since 1997, and I'm finally in a company large enough to have good benefits. They have been in business since 1978 and have about 150 employees. They have a good structure, written policies, and a generous workload. The corporate office is in High Point and I work in the Wilmington district office. So far I get along with everyone, which is always good!

No comments: