Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Well...it's been a busy weekend. But I have had a good time. It started with The Groovetones Friday night at Kanaley's on the south end of Hilton Head Island. I helped the guys carry gear in and set up some. Then as they played, the "crowd" of few turned into less and less. So, it became a special birthday concert just for me! They still played their hearts out and we all loved it! Of course I helped them break down and load up.

Saturday, I slept in...til 8! Then cleaned up around the house just a bit and went down to Wingfest. This is a fundraising event where many Island restaurants set up tents and sell various styles of wings. There is also a stage where different bands get to show off their talents. When I got there, Deaz Guys were on stage. They played beach music and motown. Very cool. Musta been 2000 or more people when I got there. I ran into Brandi and her friend Brittney. Brandi works at The Metropolitan Lounge and Bistro, where I've been to see the Tones. She’s a beautiful and friendly girl. So of course I had to say hi. :-)

Later in the day, I took a needed nap! Played online a bit, then headed to Beaufort! Why? The Groovetones, of course. They were appearing at Plum's. Not having been to Beaufort except for work, and seeing only ancient buildings on Main St., I wasn't sure what kinda place it would be. Turned out that, even though the building was probably 100 years old, they had renovated the inside to turn it into a terrific restaurant and raw bar. We had to wait over an hour for patrons to finish eating so the staff could move out the tables in order to make room for the band. Anyway…we got everything in and set up, then I asked Tony if he needed to move the truck…since it was parked on the road, almost blocking a crosswalk. He tossed me the keys and I took off to move it. I got in, put the key in the ignition, turned it…and “click-click-click-click.” It sooo wouldn’t start. But I knew that sound. The battery wasn’t totally dead, but the flashers had been left on too long. Luckily, a city cop was driving by and I flagged him down. He got turned around and jumped it off for me!

Well, I got the truck moved, but had to park at the marina because of the trailer. By the time I got back to Plum’s, the ‘Tones had started and the place was PACKED! From the very beginning, I could tell it was going to be difficult at best to shoot any video. But I still tried. I think I got something useful, so I have my other computer uploading to YouTube. It seems to take forever, but as I get the videos posted, I’ll post links.


While the ‘Tones played, I met a really nice lady who told me she had been up and down Bay St checking out other bands too. We talked a while about music, bands, work and a few other things, and decided to go next door and check out the rock band. When we got in there, the guys were sounding good. They played more hard rock, but I was familiar with those songs and these guys did a great job. The lead singer was really getting into his performance, too. They all blended well. I might have to come back in 2 weeks when they will be there again. We’ll see.

Well, I better get busy with my house-cleaning…I might decide to add to this later…ya never know!!!

No comments: