Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Collision on I-95

Went to bed a little early last night. Got up WAY too early this morning. Stomach feels weird. Might stop eating. Need to start walking for exercise.

I witnessed a pretty bad wreck on I95 yesterday. A car in the left lane lost control as a tire blew out and smashed into a trailer being towed by a pick-up in the right lane. The truck started fishtailing, weaving back and forth, then finally jack-knifed, the trailer separated from the truck and the trucked flipped over multiple times. I remember seeing the truck land on it's roof, glass shattering, then continue to roll! The car came to rest in my lane, facing me, as I had to slam on the brakes to keep from plowing into it.

I dialed 9-1-1 as I got out to check on the driver of the car. The people in the car had no obvious broken bones, and no one was bleeding. All four of them got out and I, along with another motorist, helped them get out of the lane of traffic. They moved to the grassy shoulder of the road as several other motorists stopped to render aid to the occupants of the truck. The truck had come to rest on it's side, at least 200 yards further away in the direction of travel.

The driver who stopped behind me offered them water. Each of the 4 occupants were trying to call family or friends to let them know what had happened. The driver was very shaken up and distraught. Not uncommon, I've seen this situation before, obviously. She handed me the phone and asked me to talk to her dad. I identified myself and immediately he began yelling. Well, I guess he may have been yelling at her, too, which would make her even more nervous, I am certain. I told him his daughter was ok and didnt apparently have any broken bones or serious injuries.

This is where the man lost my respect as a human being...he said, again yelling..."I don't give a damn about my daughter - are the other people ok? Do I need to call my @%&$# insurance company?!!" I said, calmly, "Sir, the other car flipped over several times, so I would think so!" He was silent for a brief moment, than asked to speak to his daughter again. So I returned the phone to her.

As the trooper approached to gather information, I offered what I saw and gave him my card. A second trooper arrived and as they began to push the car from the traffic lane with their push-bumper, I let the first trooper know I needed to be on my way, and I left. As I walked back to my truck, I heard the second trooper tell the first trooper that the helicopter was  almost there. This meant the people in the truck were seriously injured...which I already knew because of the way I saw it land on it's roof!

I've looked online, but can't find any news source that has information about this collision posted. I don't know if any will. I hope and pray the person or people in the truck survived.



45 and partly cloudy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a wreck on Monday March 1st. Several people saw it and nobody stopped to tell the cops. The driver who ran the red light told the police that she had the green light. Now, there is trouble. I am glad you stopped to help and to be a witness.


Sunshine